Credit memos are what Magento uses to refund transactions. You can issue both online and offline refunds from an open credit memo, depending on the customers payment method.
Click here if you are looking for how to do a validated return. This is our recommended way of handling the refund. If you're creating a validated return and you want the website to notify the customer, you can create an offline credit memo.
Step by Step Guide:
- In the Magento Admin panel, navigate to Sales > Orders.
- Find the order in grid and click View.
- Click Invoices on the side menu.
4. Click on View to see the invoice.
5. On the top of the invoice, click Credit Memo.
6. Verify the information in the Items to refund section.
7. Update the Refund Totals section as so:
- For Refund Shipping, enter any amount that is to be refunded from the shipping fee.
- For Adjustment Refund, enter a value to be added to the total amount refunded as an additional refund that does not apply to any particular order.
- For Adjustment Fee, enter a value to be subtracted from the total amount refunded.
8. To complete the process and issue the refund, click Refund for an online Refund, and Refund Offline for an offline refund.
The "Refund" option transfers the money back. If you used returns in Counterpoint with Securepay, DO NOT do both.
If you use FAC, you will need to do both for Magento and Counterpoint to both have a record of the return
Offline refunds do not change the transaction or refund the customer, but will mark the transaction as refunded on the website. If you have credit memo emails enabled, they will receive a notification for their refund from the credit memo.
If you do a return in Counterpoint, and want to update the Magento Order status you should choose offline refund.